Sunday, September 4, 2011

Sugar-Free Banana Bread

I'm always looking for ways to make my breads more healthy. I can't say the same thing for my desserts, but with as much bread as we eat, I try to sneak in fruits and vegetables and substitute out oil and sugar. So when I found a sugar-free banana bread recipe here, I knew I would have to try it.
I haven't actually tried the finished product yet... but judging by the fact that there are only TWO pieces left and we only started on it this morning, I'm guessing it was pretty good?
I was able to use up some of the bananas that I'd been saving in the freezer. In case you don't know, don't EVER throw out brown bananas! Just throw those suckers in the freezer, peel and all, no wrap necessary. Then when you're ready to make banana bread, take them out and let them thaw. Make sure you thaw them in a bowl, because they get REALLY gooey and runny.
This recipe only makes a very thin loaf of bread - next time I'll probably double it so it doesn't go quite so quickly.

Sugar-Free Banana Bread
adapted from Toddler Treats and More

1/4 cup applesauce or vegetable oil
3 over-ripe bananas
1 tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup milk
1 egg
3/4 cup white flour
1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
1/3 cup old-fashioned oats
1 teaspoon baking soda

Preheat oven to 350°. Grease a loaf pan. Combine applesauce, bananas, honey, vanilla, cinnamon and milk in a large bowl. Mix well. Add egg, mix well again. Add flours, oats and baking soda. Stir until combined. Pour mixture into pan and bake about 35 minutes. (If recipe is doubled, the bake time will need to be much longer!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments? Questions? Ideas? Gossip? :-)