Saturday, August 13, 2011

World of Pies

I read a book last week. As in a novel, just for myself because I wanted to. I honestly can't remember the last time I did that - I know I read the Twilight series shortly after Olivia was born, but that was 2 1/2 years ago. Has it really been that long? Don't get me wrong, I've read a lot of books since then. But they've mostly been parenting books, or marriage books, or books that my Book Club is reading (which don't count as "just for myself" since I don't pick most of them out, and only one could even be considered a novel).

Olivia & I have made a habit of visiting the library on Saturday mornings lately. So when she sat down so nicely on the overstuffed chair to look at the books she had picked out, I got this crazy idea in my head to find a book for myself. Knowing I had very limited time, I first went to see if the library had the second Janet Evanovich book in. I read the first one while Adam & I were on vacation by ourselves last year (ok, so there's the answer to my question - it was almost an entire year ago!) and have wanted to read more since then. Of course that one wasn't there.

Time was running out, Olivia was starting to ask questions, so I did what usually ends up in a very bad pick: I chose based on the spine decoration and size. One book caught my eye: World of Pies. Imagine that. If I'm not picking up a cookbook at the library, I'm picking up a novel with baking in the title.

It ended up being a fast read. And actually a decent one. Although I could not relate with the casual way Roxann related to smoking, drugs and sex, I absolutely could relate with growing up in a small town. The awkwardness. Everyone knowing everything about you and your family. Trying to fit in. Friends getting boyfriends while you were still single. Having a boyfriend when your friends were still single. Wanting desperately to leave the small town for a big city. The wonderful feeling of "home" when you go back. And I think the best part was that at the end of each chapter, there was a recipe for every dessert that had been mentioned!

We went back to the library this morning. Although I was a little disappointed that I didn't have the opportunity to find another novel, I bet my house will be a little cleaner at this time next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments? Questions? Ideas? Gossip? :-)