Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Chicken Pot Pie

Does Chicken Pot Pie count as baking? I'm a big fan of the dish, and my Pillsbury calendar featured it as their recipe of the month (ok, it was actually Turkey Pot Pie, but I rarely have turkey outside of Thanksgiving). It had been staring at me all month at work, so I finally caved and made it. I'm glad I did!


Classic (Turkey) Chicken Pot Pie


1 box refrigerated pie crusts, softened as directed on box
1/3 cup butter
1/3 cup chopped onion
1/3 cup flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
14 oz chicken broth (I used leftover turkey stock from Thanksgiving that I had frozen)
1/2 cup milk
2 1/2 cups shredded cooked (turkey) chicken
2 cups frozen mixed vegetables, thawed


Heat oven to 425°. Place one pie crust in a 9" glass pie plate. In 2-quart saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion; cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently, until tender. Stir in flour, salt and pepper until well blended. Gradually stir in broth and milk, cooking and stirring until bubbly and thickened. Stir in (turkey) chicken and vegetables. Remove from heat. Spoon into crust-lined pie plate. Top with second crust; seal edge and flute. Cut slits in several places in top crust. Bake 30-40 minutes until crust is golden-brown. During the last 15-20 minutes of baking, cover edge of crust with strips of foil (I used a pie crust shield the entire time). Let stand 5 minutes before serving.

The only thing I would do differently next time is to try it without the bottom crust. Although Pillsbury pie crust is very good, it seemed a bit excessive (Pillsbury trying to sell more of their product???). Perfect comfort food for a winter evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments? Questions? Ideas? Gossip? :-)