Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Cake Balls

I had these for the first time at a baby shower a few weeks ago. They were SOOO good (and Olivia ate almost all of mine) that I had to try to make them myself. Super easy, and Olivia even got to help me with the destruction of the cake.

Cake Balls

1 cake mix, plus ingredients to make cake
1 container frosting
chocolate for dipping

Make the cake according to the box's directions, using a 9x13" pan. Let cool. Destroy the cake and tear into crumbs. Mix in the frosting and stir until completely combined. At this point I put the mixture into the freezer for awhile, because it was too sticky to form. Once it hardens slightly, roll into balls (mine were about ping pong ball size). Melt chocolate and dip centers into the chocolate. Let harden.

I used french vanilla cake and a seasonal orange frosting with brown chips, and dipped them in white almond bark. They were super sweet but oh so good. Someday I'll try red velvet & cream cheese frosting, chocolate cake with German chocolate frosting, yellow cake with chocolate frosting...

1 comment:

  1. Too crazy - this morning I thumbed through the St Louis paper (which I never do) and there was an article on a cook who blogs about cake balls! She has some great ideas (and hers look way more professional than mine!): http://www.bakerella.com/category/pops-bites/cake-balls/

    ReplyDelete

Comments? Questions? Ideas? Gossip? :-)