Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Butter Pecan Ice Cream

So I bought an ice cream maker on a whim last weekend when I saw they were only $20 at Aldi's. I just couldn't pass it up, especially since it's just a tiny one that makes 1.5 quarts at a time. My first attempt took a bit longer than anticipated, because I was impatient. I learned an important lesson: the mixture MUST be cold in order for it to freeze properly. That doesn't mean throw it in the refrigerator for 30 minutes, it means cool completely to room temperature and then refrigerate it for the full hour the recipe calls for. Good news, though, is that overnight in the freezer works well, too. I just had to delay my gratification.


Butter Pecan Ice Cream
2 c. heavy cream, chilled
1/4 c. brown sugar
1 T butter
1/4 c. chopped pecans (I'm sure I used more)
1/2 t. vanilla

Place the cream, sugar and butter into a saucepan and mix together over a low heat. Stir until mixture starts to boil around the edges. Remove the saucepan from heat and allow to cool completely (see this is where I got impatient!). Place in refrigerator for one hour to chill.

When mixture is cold, switch ice cream maker on and pour the mixture into the chute while paddle is moving. Pour in vanilla.

After the ice cream has thickened, about 30 minutes, add the pecans. Let churn another 5 minutes to mix. Turn machine off and the ice cream is ready to serve.

YUM. Sooo creamy, so sweet. Definitely tasted like an expensive store brand, although we don't buy expensive store brands, so I couldn't tell you which one. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments? Questions? Ideas? Gossip? :-)